Top 10 Reasons I Like LutheranismPosted: May 2, 2011
10. Lutherans don’t like change. I don’t like change, Lutherans only change when absolutely necessary. It’s a good fit (and even if it wasn’t, I still wouldn’t be expected to change anything).
9. The Lutheran understanding of vocation. When my pastor in college was pushing me towards being a deaconess, I finally told him that I felt I would do better work in the secular world. He understood. Ironically, I married a seminarian and now work in a Lutheran daycare.
8. Potlucks. If you have never been to a Lutheran potluck then you’re missing out, especially if you like Jell-o
7. Lutheran Satire. This is a recent like: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLutheranSatire?blend=9&ob=5
6. The fact we have permanent pew homes. And it is completely justified when we get upset because someone took our spot.
5. The Divine Service. It’s simple and straightforward: Invocation to Benediction, it only takes a few times to figure out what is going on (except for Divine Service Setting Five in the LSB, that one took about a year).
4. The Sacraments. How much clearer can the forgiveness of sins get?
3. Luther’s Small Catechism. I’ve recently read through this again and it really does answer a lot of questions. If only my eighth-grade self would have paid more attention in confirmation class. . .
2. The Hymns. “Savior of the Nations, Come,” “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God,” “Jesus Sinners Doth Receive,” “Abide With Me” just to name a few. See Lutheran Service Book for more!
1. Knowing exactly what I need to do to receive salvation. Nothing! Sola scriptura. Sola fide. Sola gratia.